Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sister One

I mentioned before that there is a significant age spread between me and my siblings.

My oldest sister is probably the one I know the least, but it doesn't mean I love her less. There are many things about her I admire. Foremost of those qualities is her courage at dealing with the challenges that life has brought her.

I think that people often say, "I don't know how so-and-so does it," as a bit of a throw-away statement to indicate that they're grateful that they don't have the same challenges. I say that about my sister and I truly do mean I don't know how she does it. (I also wouldn't want her challenges, but that goes without saying.)

My sister served a mission in Brazil back when it wasn't cool for women to serve missions. She loved those people and still enjoys speaking Portuguese when she can.

She's a talented artist. One year she painted a water color of a Christmas tree with presents under it in the foreground. Behind the tree was a picture on the wall of the Nativity scene. The foreground, though prominent, was obviously not the focus of the painting. It was simple and beautiful and still evokes feelings of a peaceful, meaningful Christmas whenever I see it.

She loves fantasy stories and novels, especially JRR Tolkien books. Two of her children are named after "magical" characters. Again, she was a woman ahead of her time.

She has an independent spirit. She's a hard worker. She is a wonderful mother and grandmother and loves her family deeply. Life has not been kind to her and she has been dealt more than anyone's fair share of health issues. Through trials of not being able to be with her family and failing health, she never loses hope, and for that I admire her. She never gives up, never stops fighting, and never stops believing that something better is coming.

I may not know her very well, but I admire her and have much to learn from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment