Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Dare

The other day at work, my coworker walked into our shared cube with some colorful packages. I could tell it was some type of candy, but nothing I'd ever seen before. I picked one up to look at it, and Jeff immediately said, "If you open it, you have to eat the whole thing."

I was feeling adventurous, and even after reading the whole package, including the fine print - in both Spanish and English- decided against my better judgment to give it a try. It was called spagettini, i think, or something equally unappetizing. It looked like little candy spaghetti strands, so i get where theybwere going with the name. The highlights promised a watermelon/tamarind combo. There was a sprinkling of sugar on each strand, which I guessed to be sour sugar. I don't like spur candy, and the mere thought makes my lips pucker and mouth water.

The very best part of it though was the little salsa packet that came with it. I asked Jeff if I had to use that also and of course the answer was in the affirmative.

I doused the nasty little strands with the nastier salsa and grabbed a bunch of the worm-like things with my first two fingers and thumb and shoveled them all in my pie-hole. There were cries of alarm from the watching crowd (yes, four people constitutes a crowd. I wanted witnesses that I was embarking on this most disgusting adventure), and I chewed.

The salsa was truly the mist disgusting part of it all, but at least it dulled the sour effect.

I won't keep giving you the bite-by-bite details, because it all went the same. Bite, chew, make twisted-sour-mouth face, swallow, repeat.

Suffice it to say, I do not reccommend this "treat," regardless o how adventurous your awash-buckling heart may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment