Monday, November 12, 2012

Why the Hurry?

Everything seems to happen earlier and earlier each year, and by "everything" I mean "holidays." You've heard people complain about Halloween decorations and accessories in stores in September, Christmas going up in stores while the Halloween wares are still on shelves, and poor Thanksgiving practically gets lost between the other two. If it weren't for our desire to stuff ourselves to bursting, we probably wouldn't even acknowledge it. You can barely even digest the pie, turkey and fixin's before it's time to gird up your loins and go Christmas shopping, at least if you believe all the commercial hype. Retailers are even pushing Black Friday up a day to Thursday evening this year.

Obviously there are many commercial reasons for all the, er, commercial hype, I was at Disneyland this past weekend, and almost all the Christmas decorations are up. I even got my picture taken with Santa Claus already! Their official holiday start is today, November 12. Some people are letting their panties get bunched about the early start, and I can certainly understand that sentiment.

But. The Christmas season is all about good will towards men and peace on earth. Joy to the world, right? Or it should be. So if starting the Christmas season earlier means people being a little kinder, a little gentler, a little better, then bring it, I say.

I'm not suggesting that we bypass a month of gratitude and forego Thanksgiving by any means. Lets do both...simultaneously! What a concept! Be grateful AND be kind!

I'm in. You?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! That's what I've been sayin' all along. No one will listen to me. I can still appreciate Thanksgiving while simultaneously getting ready for CHRISTMAS :)

    ReplyDelete