Friday, July 27, 2007

The Bond We Share

On June 29, 1984, I was at a youth conference session at BYU. Due to the attendance numbers, they had put some of us in overflow off-campus housing. I was staying at the Riviera apartments with my three roommates. One day we came home from some classes and there was a note on the apartment door from my (now ex-)brother-in-law. "Laura Jane, your sister just had a baby and we're across the street at (the birthing center). Come see us!"

One of the advantages of staying off-campus was realized at this moment. There was no one to monitor our comings and goings, so I took my three roommates and we traipsed across the street to go see my sister and new niece. My roommates were amazed that my sister was coherent and sitting up and gracious enough to accept visitors. I was amazed that they were amazed; I expected nothing less from the woman who had already had two children and helped another sister with at-home deliveries.

Ever since that day, the family joke has been that Coralee, my niece born that day, and I shared an immediate bond because "Laura was the first loud noise she heard." It's true that we've always been friends, despite the large age difference (17+ years) between us. It has been a joy to watch her grow and mature and I love the opportunities I get to see her.

The most recent joyous landmark in her life happened on June 29, 2007. She was married in Bountiful, Utah to her new husband Zak. No coincidence on the date; it happened to fall on both of their birthdays.

Here's the beautiful bride, my niece. Best wishes and congratulations to you both!



No comments:

Post a Comment